Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Little Butt Patties

Oh yes, I knew that title would catch your attention - and no, this is not a miracle diet food for the reduction of butt size!
My son, William started calling chickpeas, 'little butts', years ago and the name has stuck ever since. Seriously - look at them - they really look like little butts! That boy has such a silly sense of humour - I don't know where he gets it!




This recipe is for a good chickpea patty - I won't call it a burger, because that may make you inclined to try cooking it on the barbie and you would be very upset with me when they fall through the grills.
And they are not really meant to be put between two bums...I mean buns! O.k., o.k.... I will stop! As my brother, Harry used to say to me when I was trying to get one more laugh out of my 5 older siblings with the same joke: "Don't beat it to death, Edie" or " Don't hammer it into the ground, Edie". Hmmm I didn't know what that meant for the longest time.

                                    This patty goes really well with salsa on the side and a big salad.

 It was adapted from a recipe in Anne Lindsay's latest book:

(see how serious I am now )






I changed the name to "Little Butt Patties". I think that is what you should call them at home. Anne should change the name too - if she wants to compete with all of those sexy chefs and cooks like Nigella and Giada.

                                  

 Little Butt Patties

Heat a glug of olive oil over medium heat and add about 3 chopped green onions, 3 cloves minced
garlic, 1 - 2 tsp chili powder, and a tsp of dried oregano.

Cook and stir for about 2 minutes.
Add 1 cup diced red peppers and cook another 3 minutes.



In a food processor mix the onion / pepper mixture with 1 can (drained and rinsed little butts - chickpeas) - BUT DON'T MAKE IT PERFECTLY SMOOTH - (I have to yell for those of you that do not read the recipe in it's entirety before starting to cook grrrr) - leave the mixture a little chunky.


Transfer this to a bowl and stir in 1/3 cup fine bread crumbs, some chopped fresh cilantro (if you have it) and a little salt and pepper.



Shape into patties. Heat a little olive oil in the same pan as before, and cook patties over medium heat for 4 minutes on each side


A sprinkle of grated cheddar or monterey Jack before you take them out of the pan would not be a bad idea.


Enjoy every butt .... er...bite!


Oh, look - there is my dishwasher -


Cute.....face - ----gotcha!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I couldn't find contact info and wanted to give you a head's up that I have put a link to this post on www.halifax.infomonkey.net, a site I'm trying to get going in Halifax.

    ReplyDelete