Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Poor Little Cabbage!


"You poor little image" my mother used to say to me as a child. A picture of a cabbage always came into my mind and I wondered why she called me a cabbage - and why was I 'poor' - after all, I felt pretty lucky!


I was born 8 years after the first 5 Shaws, who arrived in quick succession. So it was just by luck, and nightly prayers of sister Joey, that I made it into this family! There were many pet names for the 'baby' of the family: Edie bun-bun, Edie-belle, Eedle, little punk, and my sister Joanne's, "angel of my heart"
Now I hold all of these endearing names in my heart like precious family heirlooms.... even 'little punk' which always make me laugh inside.
Brother Harry called and left a message recently - "Hey Eeedle" it goes.............. I saved it to remind me of my great luck to have been born into such a great 
patch of people!

ANGELS OF MY HEART!




 












Did you have a nickname at home? I would love to hear them!


Anyway, back to the poor little cabbage


This quick recipe makes a wonderful crunchy winter salad. You can alter almost any ingredient as you desire.
Citrus segments or fresh pineapple pieces
Apple cider vinegar
Other nuts and maybe a little crumbling of feta? Why not....


WINTER CABBAGE SALAD

Remove the outermost leaves. Cut the cabbage in half and take out the core. 
(I just used 1/2 of a medium cabbage for this recipe -makes a lot!)

Put pieces of the cabbage into the grate blade of the food processor - or chop it finely.



Dice up a couple of apples and squeeze some fresh lemon juice over them. Add to grated cabbage.
Throw in some dried cranberries if you wish.

Mix up a little vinaigrette: app 2:1 olive oil to balsamic vinegar, a couple of cloves of crushed garlic  - taste and adjust.

Toss the vinaigrette with the cabbage

Top it off with some walnuts and sunflower seeds - particularly if you are using this as a lunch - you will want the protein.

Avocado on Rye Toast with Purple Cabbage Salad


Enjoy your poor little cabbage!

1 comment:

  1. A great post. Thank you

    We are committed to provide evidence-based nutrition therapy to our patients, whether you are looking for a healthy eating style or nutrition advice for a medical condition.
    For more information on Dieticians @ Health go to http://www.dieticianathealth.co.za/

    ReplyDelete