Sunday, October 24, 2010

Date Cocoa Balls and Nova Scotia Masters Men's Soccer

If you are receiving this by e-mail, click on the title and go to the homepage.

Nova Scotia Masters 
Fans!

Mike's soccer team made it to the over 35 men's national tournament representing Nova Scotia.
I love it that Mike is so healthy and fit - he was the oldest player in the tournament!
Imagine, my Ontario boy representing Nova Scotia - ain't that special!!

Whenever this team has a tournament I like to offer them a few tips on food choices between games. Several tournaments ago they asked if beer was o.k. the night before the final game(s). They asked my opinion, so I  recommended: no beer. I guess the fellas thought that I was being too prudent, so they asked me, the dietitian, whether sex was allowed - so, my final answer was: sex OR one beer, but not both! I believe they have been abiding by this 'rule' as it always comes up during tournaments.

This was an important tournament, so I decided to make some post- game snacks for optimal glycogen reloading of their muscles right after the games ended.

A good post-game snack will be carbohydrate-rich with some protein.

Dates are high in energy and potassium and the sunflower seeds lend some protein. The jalapeno peppers are there just for a kick!



DATE COCOA BALLS

1 banana
3 cups dates - soaked in water for 20-30 minutes and drained
1/2 cup oat flour (rolled oats ground in coffee grinder)
1 cup sunflower seeds
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 small jalapeno pepper, minced
flaxseed and / or wheat germ on a plate

Combine all ingredients- except the flax and wheat germ, in a food processor.



Process until it is a homogeneous mixture. If it is too sticky to form into balls, add a little more oat flour.
Form into balls and roll in flaxseed and wheat germ.


Put in freezer to firm


Mike looks pretty pleased about their bronze medal win!

1 comment:

  1. Great job Edie,
    Why beer OR sex? Very entertaining! The coca balls sound yummy.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete