Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Pureed Pumpkin for Soups, Muffins, Custard, Smoothies, Cookies, Pies,..........

Pumpkin Carving Party!
Sing the following to the tune of the much loved East Coast bar song: "What do you do with a drunken sailor":
Mike surprised me by not knowing the tune!!! I am afraid he is not quite yet a true bluenoser!  I think it was part of the music curriculum when I was in elementary school! Here is the link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGyPuey-1Jw

Here we go:

"What do you do with an orange pumpkin, what do you do with an orange pumpkin, what do you do with an orange pumpkin early in the mornin....."

Cut it in half and seed the pumpkin, cut it in half and seed the pumpkin, cut it in half and seed the ......o.k., o.k., I know when to stop...or do I??

I love to have pureed pumpkin in the freezer to make muffins, cookies, soups, smoothies, etc! The taste is so much purer and fresher than the canned versions. And pumpkins are a healthy addition to the diet. The bright orange colour is a giveaway of its high carotenoid content ;  antioxidants that decrease the risk of certain cancers and heart disease and help delay the aging process! Bring it on!!

Pureed Pumpkin

Use the small Pie Pumpkins.
Carefully cut them in half and remove the seeds










Place them cut side down on a cookie sheet with a small rim and bake at 350 for about 45 min - 60 min. They are cooked when a fork pierces the skin and flesh easily.











Let them cool for a bit - then scoop out the flesh. Put the flesh in a food processor.
Puree until smooth.
You can use the fresh puree now; just as you would canned pumpkin in a recipe.








 I like to freeze them in 2 cup portions in freezer -friendly bags. Thaw shortly before using in a recipe.









Would you like the recipes for healthy pumpkin bars and pumpkin smoothies? Leave a comment for me below and I will see what I can do!









2 comments:

  1. please post the recipes! thank you. joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog, and would love the recipes for the pumpkin bars and pumpkin smoothies!

    ReplyDelete