Thursday, November 11, 2010

Puddledock Farm Pumpkin Bars



If you are receiving this post via e-mail, click on the title to go the blog home page.


Now that you have that pumpkin puree in the fridge / freezer you can make this snacky pumpkin bar. I received the original recipe from my sister, Margaret , who lives on Puddledock Farm in Maine. That is not a typo - I know, you think it should be PuddleDUCK, but no... it is PuddleDOCK...perhaps Margaret will comment on the significance of PuddleDOCK. Stay tuned!

The original recipe called for white flour and contained MUCH  more sugar and oil. It also had a cream cheese frosting and was aptly called Pumpkin Cake. I have taken the liberty to change the recipe drastically while still producing a moist, flavourful cake-like bar. I also changed the name from cake to bar because of the healthier connotation to the word 'bar'. And to add the title 'PuddleDOCK' as a nod to its origin. So, yes, I changed the name and the ingredients of my sister's recipe - but I wouldn't change a thing about the amazing person, Margaret! Except that I wish she lived closer to me!!

These are very popular in our home and disappear remarkably fast- but that is o.k. - we have lots of pumpkin puree! Feel free to substitute all or some of the honey for maple syrup, and to increase the cinnamon or to add ginger or nutmeg to intensify flavours.


PUDDLEDOCK FARM PUMPKIN BARS

4 eggs
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cups pureed pumpkin
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp (or more) cinnamon
dash salt

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs with the honey, olive oil and pureed pumpkin.





In a medium bowl whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.



Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Blend completely. (In the photo below, I am adding extra cinnamon.)





Pour onto a cookie sheet with sides - approx. 12 inch by 16 inch by 1 inch.




(You can use parchment paper if desired)
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Watch it disappear!!!


2 comments:

  1. I am the biggest fan of anything Pumpkin and can't wait to give this 'healthy option" a go this weekend. Keep the great ideas coming! The pictures really help as well!

    ReplyDelete