Monday, November 29, 2010

When You Wish Upon a Squash.......

Often life gives you just what you wish for....
I was reminded of this yesterday morning.
While driving to my clinic office I kept repeating in my head: "Remember to pick up a butternut squash on the way home", "Don't forget to buy a butternut squash". The squash was for a dish that I was going to prepare with a client coming to my home for her appointment. I walked into my office and there on my desk was a two foot long butternut squash! I was stunned by the surprise... and greedily wished I had been thinking of something a little more valuable! Hehe ! : )

But it was very valuable to me at that moment - it was really the only thing I needed at that time. And who knows, by not having had to rush into the grocery store between appointments, maybe I averted an accident of some kind. I like to think that it is bigger than just a butternut squash coincidence. It reaffirms  the power of thought in our lives - think positively and positive things happen; think negatively and you may more likely have a bad day - or at least perceive it as a bad day!
That is no secret!

Now, back to the butternut squash - this is an alternative to the usual methods of preparing this 'winter veggie'. It is fresh and pretty, and would be a lovely addition to a potluck Christmas party!

This recipe is from the cooking genius, Mark Bittman.  He is always coming up with simple, real and delicious ideas!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH RAPEE

1 small - medium butternut squash ( I grated just half of my humongous one and had enough for several days!)

generous sprinkling of dried cranberries or raisins

1/4 cup, or so, olive oil

2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar (or other vinegar)

1 tbsp, or more, freshly grated ginger


dash of freshly ground salt and pepper

Be careful when cutting the butternut squash - it can be tricky! I like to cut off the bulbous end from the neck and then half the bulbous portion and seed it. Then peel it with a sharp knife or a really good peeler.
Grate it with a food processor - so easy!

Combine the grated squash, dried cranberries, oil, vinegar and ginger in a large bowl.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss, taste and adjust seasonings.

* you could add walnuts or pine nuts to make it a light lunch salad as in the photo below.



Bella says:" Oh, wow, veggies, dried fruit and nuts....my favourite.....NOT!"



4 comments:

  1. Edie,
    Love the squash recipe! It gives me more ideas for Christmas dinner.
    My garden provided a bumper crop of Buttercup squash. I cut each in half and put each half cut side down on a baking sheet and baked at 350 degrees until fork tender. Then I scooped out the seeds and the deep orange meat. I pureed the meat in a food processor, froze in 2 cup amounts for later. With the processed squash, I try to make a pumpkin or squash pudding every weekend for a quick treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great recipes on this site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see you on CBC today!

    ReplyDelete